Monday, January 11, 2010

The New Year and Making Bread Again

I am playing catch up with my blog as I seem to be too busy lately to capture the things that are going on in our lives. Christmas was a rush and we finally slowing down again. I purchased a new bread making book and am learning why my baking turns out good sometimes and sometimes not. The book is great ! I never new what temperature the bread should be when done (180-210)and why (the starches burst.....or what resting did while kneading bread. (the gluten relaxes and the dough becomes workable.) I am learning a lot,now if I can just use what I learned to make some good bread.
I made raisin bread. "An enriched" type that is the standard bread that I make every 10 days or so. It is as my grandmother taught me.
The recipe:

5 lbs of Bread Flour
4 cups Milk
1 stick Butter
3/4 cup Honey
2 packages of Sunmaid Baking Raisins..two cups total) I like these because they are moist .
4 large Eggs
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
3 packages of Yeast (3 tablespoons if Dry active kind that I get in 2 pound bulk bags)
3/4 cup of water @ 115 degrees(for proofing the yeast)


In a large measuring bowl, warm the Milk,butter,salt and honey in the microwave until very warm (about 125-135). Add the raisins and set aside.
Place flour in a very large mixing bowl and work a hole in the middle .
Dump the warm milk etc . into the middle of the flour.
Add the yeast to the water and stir. It should start foaming after a short time.
When the milk has cooled down to about 115 but not over 120 degrees add the yeast and start working the flour from around the sides into the middle until it starts to form the dough. It should be wet but not too sticky . Adjust flour and water to reach this goal .
Let rest 10 minutes.
Knead for about 10 minutes until the dough is satiny. From into ball.
Put the ball in the large bowl that has been sprayed with oil and let rise until double .(1 1/2 to 2 hours.)
Deflate the dough and divide into five pieces. This makes it easy to knead each piece. Knead well and form into shape for your pre-greased bread pan. (use Crisco!)
Let rise again until doubled
Bake in pre-heated oven @ 350 for 40 minutes. Check with instant read thermometer to the center of the loaf. Should be about 190-200 degrees.
Remove to racks to cool. Wait at least 20 minutes to cut if you can!




Ginny is busy making purses for her friends. She keeps busy with her sewing and I like to see her doing something she enjoys and is good at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!