Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Mushroom hunting


I can remember hunting mushrooms with my dad when I was a kid. We used to tramp around in the woods mostly in the fall looking for several kinds. The one that he always wanted was a "puffball". But we never could find one that hadn't gone to "seed". The spores on these start in the center and if too mature they will "puff" out a plume of brown spores if you kick or squeeze them. I once got sent up this tall stump of a tree to retrieve one that looked great but when I got there it puffed all over the place. I found this one and it was a little too brown in the center to be good. Too bad because it must have weighed three pounds for sure. Well I will keep looking and I bet that dad was smiling .
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Look for morral mushrooms instead ..I like those :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does bring back memories, Dad used to take me mushroom hunting, I remember allot of cows and mud. I love the aspargus hunting the best, some of the best times I shared with Dad. It felt so good when I would spy one, Dad would praise me and that felt so good.
    Hugs, Sis Sue

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!