Friday, October 2, 2009

Fall is here and the garden is in retreat.

It's getting into fall and the garden is starting to show it too. I have Basil growing in a raised bed shown here. I am wondering if it will make it thou the winter and it will be interesting to see how it fairs. If anyone has any experience here let me know. Right now it looks great. We use it to season our cooking and it is sure a nice feeling to just walk out to the garden and pick fresh.
The raised bed with red currants . They are looking a little worse for the wear....I should have put some good dirt in this one too. I put in sand from the back trying to save some $$ and it was a mistake although the sweet potato's loved it.

The rutabagas are doing fine as you can see. Most people don't eat these ...they have a bad rap and I don't know why. Seems like most people have a narrow selection that they eat and don't venture from it too much. The slipper is just there for size comparison . I haven't figured out how to grow them yet. I tried once but got the size wrong!


The end of the tomatoes. These are great for hamburgers. I ordered beefsteak seed but these are what grew. They turn pink when ready and are very meaty with few seeds. I had a lot of trouble with Gurney sending the wrong seeds this year and will go with someone else next year.
All of my cherry tomato seed turned out to be Roma. Poor QC. on their part.









I am pulling up the peppers as we use them and planting late stuff like kale,chard,and beets.





This is the last harraw for the garden. I got them in late and am hoping that at lest the lettuce makes it . These are Beets, Kale, Chard and Lettuce. Hope lingers.







Above is the herb bed and some bibb lettuce on the end. Doing good.





The lettuce had outdone its self and we have more than we can use. The cabbages are still growing and I think that they will make it . They say that cabbages taste better after a good frost. We are eating some of the early one now and they are great. I love cooked cabbage.







Anyone need some lettuce? We won't be able to eat it all.....and I planted more!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!