Friday, October 2, 2009

Cliff's Barn and Vegetable Storage Pit


I've been helping my friend, Cliff,build his "Barn" which is more like a giant fancy garage with a 16 foot door and metal ceiling panels. Shown here is the ceiling about 3/4 done. It took a crew of friends to install the long metal panels....hard to handle. We used scaffolding on two farm wagons that we pulled along together with small tractors.



This is Cliff cutting the panels to fit. I think that Cliff is one of the best builders that I have known. Everything is perfect when he is done.

We stopped for the day here because Cliff wanted to get ready to harvest beans . We will leave an opening because he is blowing in insulation above....yes he plans on heating this barn!


Ginny,going out to the back with Macy to dig some potatoes.
Macy refuses to wear hats so I try to make it fun for her. Maybe she'll get to like them, maybe not.



This is my experiment site. Looks just like a pile of old hay doesn't it. Well I have all of those cabbages in the garden and I need to store them somehow and this is my attempt.


I have been reading online about storing vegetables outdoors in pits and thought that I would like to try it so this is my setup. I read about it here http://www.hort.purdue.edu/ext/ho-125.pdf


This is one of those large trash can that I cleaned out and buried in the ground at an angle,then covered with dirt and hay bales.

This is my helper doing the demo on the storage pit. She ,or maybe I should say WE had a ball doing it. She played the princess in trouble and I was the hero giant guy to save her. Over and over,and over. She loved climbing on top and sliding down. I wonder if she will remember these times when she is our age? I hope so. I'm glad that I have the time and energy to make it happen. Life is good.



2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea for vegetable storage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mia, I can only take credit for doing the work. The idea is an old one...used when there was no other way. Since starting this project some of my older friends remembered their folks doing a variation of this when they were young. We'll see how it turns out.
    P.S. I love your site. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!