Saturday, February 20, 2010

Firewood season

I burn wood. Lots of wood and my pile is getting low. I cut ahead at least a year or two so the wood is nice and dry. Burning wet wood is not good any way you look at it. It gives off creosote and doesn't give the heat that dry wood does. Too much energy is used just to drive out the moisture . I started cutting again in the fence row behind the house...my neighbors.
I like cutting on those nice sunny days of late winter. Cold ,but not too cold and still snow on the ground. It is a lot of work for sure but I need the exercise. I have been trying to do a tree a day and so far have four with many more to go. Here are some photos.
This is a nice oak. I wish I had ten more just like it. It seems like the logs are getting heavier every year! I had a heck of a time getting them on the trailer. I need a lift gate or something. Macy came out to where I was cutting and remarked how beautiful the rings are on this log. So sweet.

This is my setup for cutting wood. I have a rack for my saw and boxes all set with gas ,oil,tools and lunch.


The oak after the Stihl got hold of it. It is amazing how much work can be done in a few hours. On a side note...I got my saw pinched three times this year and had to get the axe and sometimes the wedges going to free my saw. So I started thinking that this was the year for a new saw. Having two saws has been on my mind for a long while but I finally sprung for a new Stihl 20 inch blade. Now I can opt for larger trees that my 16 inch couldn't handle and if I pinch a blade can use the other to free it. My old saw is 26 years old now. The new one just screams with power and I can't wait to cut a tree with it. It should be for the price I had to pay for it I could have gotten three or four full cords of wood!


I love having the time to be able to record cutting wood and working around the house. Enjoy.


2 comments:

  1. That was music to Phil's ears. He was so excited to be able to hear the chain saw. His only problem was that he wasn't there helping. Me, well, I like Macy's comment - those rings looked nice. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!