Monday, April 12, 2010

Cold Storage and the Raised Beds Update

We are using up the cabbages and turnips the I put in the ground last fall and am surprised at how well they came thru the winter. The cabbages had some bad leaves on the outside but we just peeled that off and they are great! They even seem to taste sweeter with age. I found that I didn't bury the trash can deep enough and some of the stuff on top froze and rotted but the ones deeper were fine. I think that just burying them in the ground with straw would work better maybe. Only thing with that is digging them up in the winter...the ground would be too hard.
Here are four heads after we took off some of the outer leaves. Nice firm heads. Now why don't you hear about this method of storage more often? Have we strayed so far and are so dependent on the food industry to supply us ,that we don't bother to raise and store our own food? I know where my food comes from and how it was grown and what chemicals were used in it's production. I like that feeling.
Here is an update on the raised beds. It has been one month since I planted and things are coming along well. As you can see the lettuce is coming and red oak leaf behind that and then some kale .
This is the mustard spinach that I liked so well last year and it is growing fast. It likes this cold weather . Some days I have to uncover the beds to cool them off.
I have built two more beds next to these and I had the dirt delivered today so I'll show them soon. Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Your beds are looking great. I love the root cellaring idea as well. Kerry got a book on it to see if we can do it in our basement, but in the city, we're a little concerned about rats getting into it.

    Kerry has got some stuff coming up in the front bed, which is on the south side of the house and gets warm much sooner. Lettuces, I think. Behind the house, she's got 60 leeks planted, as well as some kale in whiskey barrels. The rhubarb is starting to come up as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gotta love the farmers!! I enjoy buying fresh fruit and vegs from the good old side markets. Food tastes so much better, like how I remember when I was a kid...the reason some of our dishes do not taste like mom and dad's and as we remember is because of all the processing. Bet that cabbage is tasty. By the way when does the asparagus come in, I sure wanted come down and get me some of that. Hugs, Sis Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,Kerry...
    Gotta give you props for trying to do what you can with what you have. My dad used to store Leek in the basement all winter(if it lasted that long) by lining a box with newspaper,then a layer of dirt and leek layed side by side ,white part in the dirt,green out. Then just keep layering,dirt,leek,dirt leek. Moisten the dirt and keep it damp. Works well.

    Sue,we still have plenty of frozen asparagus that we will give you if you want. We have many pounds set aside for you. The fresh should be starting at the end of Arpil or so. Early May for sure. I am burning the bed this week for sure.(to kill some of the weeds.) Just waiting for the wind and rain to be right.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!