Monday, October 25, 2010

Garden in late Oct.

I have in this bed Swiss Chard , Onions, and curly Kale at the far end just starting to come up. Hoping for Christmas dinner of greens and onions. I got this idea of covered beds from my Alaska magazine that had a story about someone in the far north growing plants and selling them to the locals. As I looked at those photos I was thinking that this is what I need to do and so far I am having some success . It is still a learning experience though and I need to get a good schedule and the right plants.
The garden is doing well. I planted in late August and most of the greens are flourishing . We still are not getting enough rain so I have been watering. From the left to right in this photo... Russian Kale,Beets,and Turnips.
This is a view into No. 4 bed. Spinach Mustard cross,with leek along the sides. The darn leek did nothing all summer but are starting to take off now. I am hoping that with the row covers they will have time to get some size. I can never get the giant stems that the markets have . I think because of the dry summer mine didn't grow. Some day I will get a water system going for the raised beds. First I need a hydrant in the garden and my well water fixed.
I have a lot of lettuce growing and it is doing great in this cool weather. This is just a peek under the covers.
Under all of that white row cover is the lettuce . The other rows are Mustard, more Mustard spinach cross, and a row of mixed greens.
All covered and buttoned up for the cold night we had last week. I think that all would have been okay anyway even though we had a hard frost. Over and out.

3 comments:

  1. Our leeks were pretty puny this year too, but we had it down to a lack of sun. I love the kale though. Kerry lets ours get a little taller, then starts trimming the lowest outside leaves, and the new shoots come up through the middle. With five plants, we have a green side dish twice a week from June until October. We do that with the chard too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those hoop houses are cool! We are jealous.

    I love kale and chard. We let them grow a little taller, and then start taking the lowest outside leaves while new ones grow up through the middle. With that strategy, we are able to get a couple vegetable sides per week for the whole summer out of only 5 plants of each. It's a nice way to save space in a garden as small as ours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin,Kerry.
    I planted one of our beds with chard this spring and I think that we picked at least 15 times. We love it too. Chard soup is great.
    I found that Kale comes in a lot of varieties . Curly is like standard,dinasaur is great but hard to find , and Russian is very tender and sweet. Next year will be better.

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!