Friday, October 22, 2010

Food and Friends

I must be hungry. This post is mostly about food ,friends and fogies (me). The picture on the left is of my old television antenna and tower. A while back my teenage neighbor was over and he pointed to it and asked "what is that anyway". I had to look twice before I informed him that that was the way we used to get a tv signal. He stared at it a while and said ...humm. That is the fogie part. Living long enough that the young generation can't relate.
Don't laugh,your turn will come.



We had some friends stop by. Linda and her daughter Jessica. They used to live a couple of houses down and I skied with them a lot out west. Linda's mom ,our neighbor, died so they are up from Florida. Good to see friends.
We had a great meal last week, fresh potato rosemary garlic bread,roasted chard with grated cheese, and chicken thighs with peppers and onions. Love cooking good food.
Lots going on now. Hunting season is in full swing and am hunting tomorrow in the Thumb. Hoping for that ten point before I get too old to see one.
The garden is doing great . I will get some photos of it soon. The greens are knee high and the lettuce is coming along well. Ginny says that I planted too much and see may be right this time. I have almost three 25 foot rows 18 inches wide! Someone is going to get some lettuce for sure. Ginny likes giving produce to the older ladies at church that can use the extra food. and I like growing it for them too. So it works.
I have started making some wine and will update on that soon. Nothing as grand as Kevin but it's a start. Later

The recipe for the greens.
I got this recipe from The Greens Book

Ingredients
  • 3 Lb Chard
  • 1 Tsps Salt
  • 1 Pepper
  • 4 Tbsps Butter
  • 3/4 Cups Parmesan Cheese ,freshy graded
  • 4 Tbsps Feta cheese optional

Directions
  1. Wash chard well and cut off the stems. Trim the stems and cut into two inch lengths.
  2. Cut the leaves crosswise into two inch strips.
  3. Blanch the stems in salted boiling water for about three minutes. Add the leaves and blanch for another 1 1/2 minutes longer.
  4. Drain the chard well and transfer to a oven- proof dish. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
  5. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Brown the butter in a sauté pan. Pour the browner butter over the the chard and toss well.
  6. Sprinkle the Parmesan (and feta, if desired) cheese over the chard. Bake 10 minutes or so until the cheese is bubbling and pale golden brown. Serve hot.
  7. Tomato slices ,cut thin, may be added before baking for a garnish. Sprinkle basil across the slices.


1 comment:

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!