Friday, August 21, 2009

The Garden in August

.
While attending Ginny's nephew's wedding I had some good discussions about gardening with Kerry, (she only eats veggies). She asked to see some pictures of my garden so here they are. This over all has been a very good year . The raised beds have been a wild success and a learning experience too. I learned that too many tomatoes in a raised bed can be a problem . I also have some new plants that will become standard in the garden like rutabaga's. We love them! GREENS- like collards,Swiss chard,beet tops,mustard greens,etc. We always thought that they were bitter and were surprised to find out how great they are! Someone gave us a jar of pickled beets and I enjoyed them too. Wow ,I guess your never too old to find something new you enjoy eating. Anyway here are some picts of the garden.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
This kitten came wandering in a couple of weeks ago when Macy was here. I have to keep her now so I am calling her Tigger ( to match Pooh in the house)
I have pepper plant that are falling over because of the weight of the fruit!
I planted some late cabbage and collards. I plan to store some cabbages in the ground this fall to see how it goes.
The raised beds that I put Red Currants and Goose berries in. I also planted sweet potatoes that took over the whole bed.
Ginny's flowers.
Getting the ground ready to plant some late stuff ...garlic,beets,lettuce. This raised bed is my herb bed. I got a late start but it may be okay. I can cover it with plastic to extend the season.
I pruned the pear trees this year and have bigger fruit.



A walk in the garden means work! These are the best green peppers that I have ever grown. Must have been the raised beds.

3 comments:

  1. I'm impressed !
    ~ Shell

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - what a garden. Looks like you have it down pat. Great pics - makes you want to pick that tomato and eat it right off the screen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. things do improve with age even your garden!!
    Those peppers are awesome! Dad would have love to walk in your garden, he would be proud of you I know I am. Hugs, Sue

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!