Sunday, August 30, 2009

Enjoying the end of August

We are still canning ...Ginny has done 26 quarts of pears so far and lots of tomato sauce. It just feels good to have them in the fruit cellar ready when needed this winter. And we know what is in them and not have to worry that some Chinese company has added horse pee or something to them....you never know. Don't these look great. I just don't understand why more people don't put up their own food. It is just to easy to grab it off of the store shelf. I have fond memories of my Mom and Grandmother canning and filling up the basement with all kinds of good food. I like that feeling of being prepared for whatever comes down .

We have a new cat . Didn't really want one but it came wandering in when Macy was here and I couldn't break her heart ....so now it has a home. It will be an outside cat,a mouse catcher. This photo was taken by Macy...heck shes better than I am!

Ginny doing corn for the freezer. I think about five dozen that day.


While she was doing corn I made French bread with Macy. Then we made some yogurt. We make a quart every week or so. Sometimes more.





Next day I got to try out the Cider making Press and Grinder that I made
The neighbors have a tree that started dropping apples already so I asked for them.
This is Paige. She is 6 and she helped with the cider making...sort of .





It when well but I found out some things that I need to improve on. We mixed the apples with some pears to help sweeten up the cider because they were too sour on their own. Must be because of the type of apple they are. I will be doing this again on a larger scale when my apples come in and I can mix them to get better tasting cider.
We got about six gallons this time with the wheel barrel full of apples.......THIS MAKE ME WORRY ABOUT ALL OF APPLES THAT I HAVE GROWING ON MY TREES ..It looks like a hundred gallons worth out there! Scary.
I learned that you don't do cider pressing when the BEES are out@! We had dozens every where! But I only got stung one time and that was when I was cleaning up and one got in my shirt and stung my stomach



Okay I have to add some movies of Macy who for now is the sunshine in my life. Enjoy these.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, you two are busy!! What did you do when you worked?? :-) Those tomatoes and pears look wonderful. I am sure you will enjoy them the rest of the seasons when they are not plentiful. Hugs to Macy when you see her. She is so sweet!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cat looks like an alley cat that lives behind us, only he hunts for sewer rats. I love that cider press. And what a great looking garden!

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!