Thursday, March 18, 2010

Success!

I planted on the 11Th and didn't really think that anything would sprout for at least two weeks but yesterday I saw some good germination . Today they shot up to be a fine green line in the dirt. I am amazed. Any day that has some sun,the temp shoots up so much that I have to open the ends to keep it below 90! Yesterday it got up to 107 before I got the ends open. At night the temperature goes down to outside temp but I think that the ground is still warmer than the air ,with a little flywheel effect from the daytime heating. Next week it is going to be a lot colder again and I don't know how the new sprouts will fare. This photo shows how nice of a setup this is. Now I need to be smart enough to plant it wisely. Also shown is my temp. sending unit so I can see the temperature from the house. This one is good for 200 feet.
Bad photo but the sprouts are up.

I started cleaning up the other raised bed today because it was such a great day. The soil in the bed was workable and just perfect,while the rest of the garden is muddy. It will be weeks before it will be tilled.


Here is the side by side shot. My little tiller/cultivator I got last year works well for this . It is lite and does a good job.
I have been thinking of adding two more raised beds this year but my truck is in the shop and it may be expensive so I have to wait and see.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!