Thursday, March 11, 2010

Raised bed hoop house

Today I checked out my raised beds. The weather was in the low fifty's and the birds were sings so I got restless to do something in/for the garden. When I looked at the frames I saw weeds coming up here an there and though, wow maybe I could plant some cold weather stuff. So I worked up the soil (it was not too wet because of it being raised),got the hoops up and covered the frame with some plastic that I got at the auction. I planted some Swiss Chard,two kinds of lettuce, and some Japanese spinach. All cold weather plants.
Then we covered it I put a thermometer in and saw that it got up to 78 degrees today! Not too bad for a cloudy day. This will be interesting to find out how early I can plant. This is why I built them in the first place. The rest of my garden is very muddy now and rain is forecast for the next few days. My timing is perfect. The soil won't get soaked in the frame. I'll keep you updated. I will feel better if I see some germination in a couple of weeks.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!