Wednesday, May 18, 2011

I finally came to appreciate all the rain that we have been getting. Last night  Ginny says , "oh I think that I saw a morel mushroom in the back yesterday".   WHAT! So we get our rain jackets on and head to the back. Sure enough it was morels.  I have never found this many before and am beside myself with pleasure.  Check them out.



         These (below) were so beautiful that I had to take a photo.  I don't know if these are good to eat so we let them be. They may be , I have to look it up in my mushroom guide book.
 This is how many we ended up with.  We not only searched our orchard but found a bunch at a nearby woods.  I would like to look around again today if I can get into some more of the neighbor's places.

Hunting for morels brings back good memories of mushroom hunting with my dad when I was a kid.  He hunted for a lot of different kinds but morels were the "holy grail" .  Sometime he would spot one and stop to see if I could see it.  Never did.  They were so hard to see he almost had to put my nose on it for me to see.  So last night we had a lamb chop,morel mushrooms and mac and cheese for dinner...and all the while I wished that my dad was here for the feast.  Good meal,good memories.

1 comment:

Go ahead,make my day
By the way if you click on the photos they will enlarge..most of the time anyway. Try it!